Difco™ Bismuth Sulfite Agar, BDSupplier: BD Life Sciences
90003-904EA 275.35 USD90003-904 CA90003-904
Difco™ Bismuth Sulfite Agar, BD
Media for Microbiology Dehydrated Media for Microbiology
Bismuth Sulfite Agar is a highly selective medium used for isolating Salmonella species, particularly Salmonella Typhi, from food and clinical specimens.
- Modification of the Wilson and Blair formula
- Beef extract and peptone provide nitrogen, vitamins, and minerals
- Dextrose is an energy source
- Disodium phosphate is a buffering agent
- Brilliant green and bismuth sulfite inhibit gram-positive bacteria
- Ferrous sulfate is included for detection of H2S production
Bismuth Sulfite Agar is used for the isolation of S. Typhi and other Salmonella from food, feces, urine, sewage, and other infectious materials. The typhoid organism grows luxuriantly on the medium, forming characteristic black colonies, while gram-positive bacteria and members of the coliform group are inhibited.